Monday, May 2, 2011

This is the reframed photo below.

And this above is the original photo. I was initially drawn to the photo because I like the contrast of the pink and purple against the warm, neutral background. The pink figure seems to resemble a person. This makes the painting relatable to me. The head is round, which gives off a comforting feeling. What appear to be the arms are outstretched. On the edge of the image you can make out another pink line, which I am assuming is the figure the main character is reaching out to. The dot where an eye would be helped me identify the object as a person.

I chose to reframe the picture like I did to bring more emphasis to the pink object, that I believe is a person. This also gives a closer view of the face of the object. The eye now appears to be crying because you can see how the eye is a vertical brushstroke and fades out as it goes down. This fine detail is much less noticeable in the original painting, because there is much more SPACE for the eyes to explore. Following the RULE OF THIRDS, about two thirds of the original painting is a large, neutral object with seemingly no meaning or symbolism, and the other third is the point of emphasis. To me, It looks like this large object is here just to take up space.

I think the artist framed the painting like they did, as a shot type LONG SHOT(LS), to create more of an abstract piece of art. Unless you really studied and liked the original piece, you would just make a 3 second scan and see some random objects with totally different colors, and then move on. Making the bottom two thirds of the original painting have no clear visual meaning causes you to focus on the pink object, leaving the bottom two thirds basically unexamined. When you switch to a shot type CLOSE UP(CU) of the painting, you get a much better detailing of the facial expression and overall mood of the piece.

Insert 2 of the 6 binary terms here: _______.


No comments:

Post a Comment